Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thursday Report (10-April-2008)

I'm sorry that I was too busy last week and didn't post.
Please forgive me.

Today, 8 kids:
Chris, Nicholas, Calvin, Tommy, Jordan, Kenny, Ivan, Bryan.

I'm so pleased many kids come today.
It is good to have drill and organize the court with only eight kids.

At first, we had some very basic technic game.
Rallying in the service boxes, but every time before you hit the ball, you have to stop it and then hit.
The game is fun which can train the so called feeling of tennis.
I found most of the kids did well.

Next, we had the half court match, however, there were some limitation on every match.
At the first kind of match, boys were only allowed to hit forehand only. If they hit a backhand, they would lose a point. The game is good form them as training their lazy feet to MOVE!!
Many did well, for example Ivan and Nicholas.

Second match is about the "serve and volley" but with underarmed serve.
The serve have to run to net as quick as they can to reach up the second shot.
I found that many of them found hard as their opponent were at the net, and could only hit in a very limited space---only half court.

Tommy lost two times to Jordan. However, they were in the very close match.
Ivan was great, killing others with his consistent high shots.
The new blood Bryan did a good job, even he's a new learner, he tried his best and did some killer shots, too.

The two games were played in the "ladder" system: winner move up while loser move down.
The top courts were always Ivan and Nicholas.

Great and funny games.
I like working this kind of drills or games to them, as match play could always help them to improve. Being set some more limitation or some rules in the game, boys could learn some special tactics, for example, some of them learn hitting two wide shots in order to win( just say hit a wide forehand to the opponent's forehand, and then his backhand).

I appreciated their improvement like Jordan, Nicholas and Tommy.

Next, we had the funny game: Recovery.
I like recovery which makes the boys to RUN!
Boys were divided into two teams.
They have to run to the second court and touch the far double side line if they miss a shot.
Exciting!

Service and Returning.

At last, we had the king of the court in singles within two courts.
Kenny and Ivan challenged Cheung Sir and his wife again.

I joined with the boys.
I found Jordan's serve improved, while Tommy became a killer and more consistent.
Nicholas was the great improver, I bet. His forehand and backhand are improved, especially his serve, a bit powerful.

Kenny and Ivan lost the doubles to Cheung's couple again.
The training ended at about six thirty.

All in all, a good day.
I appreciated the boys' improvement.
In my own view, the form four boys are improving but Chris was still playing in his own style. I bet, in coming September, Nicholas would be one of the core player if his improvement keeps significantly.

No comments: