Monday, July 2, 2007

Review of Boys' matches

Today, I went to Victoria Park with Frankie and Chris.
At about 9am, I warmed up with the two boys.

We arrived at Victoria park at about 10:10.

Chris got his match at about 10:20.
His opponent was the 1st seed. Chris tried all his best, he had a consistent serve today. Moreover, Chris didn't made too much unforced error this time. He had a good match. But, he had his problem as usual: lazy heavy legs. He didn't react as fast as he can, SLOW. We may say that his feet and legs are too heavy..
Score: Chris lost 0-8

Anyway, he did it much better than I expected.

After that, at about 11am, Frankie got his match.
He played with the 4th seed called Kenneth Ip. Kenneth is not playing like the 1st seed( Chris's opponent), he had a powerful and fast stroke. In case, it made Frankie to rush and run around the court to reach every ball. I'm pleased that Frankie today was a fast-runner, we can imagine that Frankie played like the Clay court king--Nadal, who can reach every ball. Unexpected, Frankie's backhand slice is better than he played at wahyan. Fast runner, Frankie. But, after the match, Frankie told us that he felt tired at the 5th game of the pro set. He did well in the first few games, however, he can't do it at all the games.

Maybe, what we can do is to train the boys' stamina. Otherwise, the boys cannot withstand the sunny day and the best of three set.

I feel pleased about the two boys' performance in the matches. The two match were all unexpected, although they lost the match. In fact, winning or losing is not the most important in the match. What we can learn or the pleasure in the match is more important for the boys, instead, boys can gain more experience of the tournament outside wahyan. Lastly, I do believe that both of them tried all their best, and I think they had a good lesson today.

Boys, keep it on and try to remember winning a point is not only hitting a winner shot!

2 comments:

Ernest said...

Thanks for the report n that's a great job of u to watch them play. All of us hv to lost some matches before we start to win. I'm sure the boys will learn something from their defeat n I'm sure they will work hard to record their first win in a tournament

Raymond Ho said...

Dear Edmond,

Pass on my congratulations to Frankie and Chris for trying their best. It must be hard to start playing matches against kids that started earlier in tennis. However, sky is the limit with this game.

Some players reached their potentials much later on in their careers, Ernest and Charles are good examples.

I must have lost quite a few 6-0 junior matches before started winning. Fortunately for me, I used to lose in the First Round singles, but went on to win a round or two in the Junior Open Doubles, best result being a Semi-Final U-18 Doubles with Bruce (first attempt) and Q-Finals in the National Championship with my brother in Form 5.

I started winning more tennis matches in the UK. Simon and I were the "best" tennis playing doctors in the UK for those who bothered to turn up in the Tournament for a few years.

Enjoy the competition. It makes you tough and focused on improvement in your game.