Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Monday Practice Report (13-Aug-2007)

Arrived the court at 2:30pm.
Saw three enthusiastic boys: Louvre, Brian and Tommy.

Boris came at about three.
We started the lesson at three o'clock.

Today, we focused on the volley again.
We did some groudstoke, net game and of course the approach shot.

In these few drills, I found boys were improved, especially the long time no see Louvre. I remembered when I saw him at the first time, he was the boys who hits many balls to the forest, and what I remembered he always throws his racket. I was shocked, because Louvre did many killer forehand groudstrokes, which almost killed me at the drill. I can see, Louvre had improved so much today.

What's more, I would like to comment on Boris. I didn't see him for a long time. Actually, I think he is the tallest in the team, but he is also one of the weakest server. He lacks the ready postition when standing in the court, only hitting the ball with his hands... We have to double our effort on Boris, helping him to develop the "sense of tennis". Maybe, he needs more practices.

As we did many volley and approach drills, boys' net game improved. Brian and Louvre were very good double player, they trusted each other so much. In the volley pair drill, they did well and understand each other. I would say they were one of the best understanding team in wahyan, perhaps, Marco and I were not that understanding. I were so pleased to see Brian and Louvre's attitude towards the game.

Service again.
I taught Louvre the service and he improved a little bit. He used to have a very weak serve. I told him to notice his posture, expecially his foot and the shoulder turn. I know, Louvre had tried his best today, maybe what he only needed is practice. Tommy had quite powerful serve today, but Brian and Louvre complained that two-third of his serve were not in... Powerful serve is wonderful, but consistency is also important!

At the end, Boris left early at about 5:15pm.
We lastly had a double.
Louvre and Brian VS. Tommy and Edmond

The match was really exciting and was very close. It was hard to play with Louvre and Brian, because they were so understanding. They tried many new tactics themself, such as the so-called " i formation(not for the service)" ... many many tactics. They did well. I didn't see too many unforced error in all the boys. Louvre improved his volleys. Tommy also tried his best, but he needed to learn how to control the ball.

All in all, a wonderful training today! But, only four boys came.
Barry and Chris, where are you?
I want to see the enthusiastic Chris Wong!!

Thanks God for the good weather!

2 comments:

Raymond Ho said...

Dear Edmond

Thanks for the wonderful report. It is nice to hear Boris coming back to practise from his summer break.

A few Old Boys have spotted the immense talent in Boris's game, other than his weak serve. Simon said that Boris was like Andy Murray in style, unorthodox but very effective player. He needs to practise more and overcome his weakness. Given his height, he should have a more powerful service and backed up with a good volley game, in addition to his very good groundstrokes.

It is nice to have a great understanding with your tennis partners. Bruce and I were never that good as singles players, but we combined well to get fantastic results in doubles. I was too slow to get to those drop shots and Bruce will cover those shots for me. When Bruce required some fire power to creat chances, I made good top-spin shots to create them.

The boys have improved their net play through practice and match play. Louvre, Tommy and Brian has first-class attitude in improving their tennis.

The courts were pretty dried when I drove past Wylie Road at 6-ish that day. Caught the glimpse of you in your Doubles match with the boys.

We will have a full-strength squad of Old Boys testing the WYK tennis team on Sunday 26th. Be prepared.

Chris said...

I am here.
I will be in mainland china starting from this sat. but i am not sure when i will be back. either monday or tuesday.