Monday, August 6, 2007

Monday Practice Review

I arrived the court at 2:45 and dried the court for a while.
Boys were late.

Today, we had five boys:
Calvin, Brian, Jordan, Chris and a new blood Kenny.

Kenny, a F2 boy and learnt some lesson by Gary To. Raymond, tell you a good news, Kenny is a left-handed! Actually, Chris and I found that he's really good at tennis. Though he's not an advance player, he has the ball sense.

I warmed with Calvin at first. Then, Jordan came. I told the boys to do some cross-court rally. Then, I had an easy forehand and backhand down-the-line/cross-court drill for the two boys. Boys did well, especially Calvin. I found that he improved his forehand. One more unexpected thing, he asked me how to hit more powerful forehand. The problem of his stroke is he's standing to hit the ball. Calvin, you didn't bent your knee. You hit the ball only with your fore arm and shoulder turn. Furthermore, you can try hitting the ball with a larger back-swing. I'm pleased Calvin asked me the question. You know, I always feel that Calvin and Tommy were too shy. (XP...)

We had the in-side-in drill. Boys did badly at first. Boys didn't know what is an in-side-in forehand, they only know what is an in-side-out forehand. In-side-in forehand means you run to the adv court and hit a down-the-line with your forehand. The shot should be deep and topspin.
Calvin, Brian and Kenny did well at the end. Actually, Kenny's performance was unexpected. Calvin and Chris keeped trying hard on the footwork, improvement were showed! But, Jordan, please, please, please, work on your lazy foot!!!! I don't want to see a boy hitting a stroke with only his hand!!

Some volleys.
Boys did well in the drill. Ernest, did you focus on their volley last practise? They seemed to have improved a lot on the net play. I saw the improvement of Brian and Calvin, but the room of the improvement is still big. Some also did well in the overhead.

Chris didn't get his racket today as he broke his string yesterday. He told us that he played bad today as he didn't get his own racket and string. But, I would like to say is, how about if you break the string during the match? If we lost the game, we cannot "blame"the racket. That's only an excuse! I know using the racket you are not familiar is hard, but try to accustomize the feel of using the "strange" racket. You would learn more in the future =]

We had 3-3 match today!
One volley and two baseline. This is the game I always hold at my group lesson at Junction Road. Boys had fun today. But the net player have to be cautioned. The one way to win the point is to hit a lob to pass the net player. If the net player intercept the ball, he would easily win the point. Boys were clever, some found a winning method: hit a powerful shot to the net player. Raymond, didn't they learn from you yesterday? XP

Service, of course.

After the serving, it rained dogs and cats.
We waited for a while at the cabin. At the end, the lesson finish at about 5:30.

1 comment:

Raymond Ho said...

Dear Edmond and All

We (Joseph and I) would love to meet Kenny. In fact, I have not trained a left-hander during my playing career. Most of the left-handers whom I practised with, including juniors, were already very established players.

It would be fun to pass on some tips to a leftie. I found it hard to visualize the shot of a right-hander sometimes and show them what to do.

I will be playing on Saturday afternoon and perhaps Kenny could join if interested.