Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thursday Practice Report (11-Oct-2007)

Wow, the inter-school competition is coming!
Boys would have the their first match on next Saturday!

Today, we had only 7 boys...
I'm quite sad as all school team boys came on Tuesday, Ernest class....
We had Tommy, Oscar, Brian, Jordan, Aaron, Kenny and Ivan.

Probably, the boys who join my training are intermediate level..
I do hope that they would have more improvement here..

I hit some shots with all the boys before 4pm.
Oscar has a powerful forehand, Tommy has a good backhand.
The young kids Ivan and Aaron also liked rallying with me.

We started the drill by the service boxes game.
Starting form the net and hit only in the boxes, the drill is to let the boys to run more.
Later, we also did some volley-volley drill.

Of course, today we had the volley to baseline drills.
All of the boys didn't have a good net game tactics, they seldom moved to the net. Some even never stay at the net when they're in the match.

Some mistakes they made:
later hit, backswing, too much swing, racquet face open....etc.

One more practice is the backhand slice shot.
This drill is for Brian at first, as Louvre told me yesterday Brian did't know how to hit a slice backhand..
We focused on some slice shots and then volleys.

I found that their slice are awful, of course the volley and overhead..

Lastly, we had one double.
Tommy and Oscar vs. Jordan and Brian.

For the first set, Oscar's team won, 6-2.
For the second set, Jordan's team led 3-1.

They performance were okay, but service were terrible.
I didn't tell them to warm-up their service, letting them to know that warming up the service is absolutely important. Once again, they seldom called the score before serving.

On last thing, the attitude in the tennis court.
Tennis is a game for gentlemen.
When we pass the ball to our opponent, please let it bounces once in front of the player. Passing the ball to your opponent should be polite. Others can easily know how wahyan students are in this little things, such as passing the ball, talking or just calling the score.

Tennis skill is important, but what I think more crucial for our boys is to teach them how to behave well in the tennis court.
Actually, I found that no more boys being late on Thursday.

You all have a great improvement, but I hope you can be more consistent in the doubles.
Practice more, boys!

I'm not free on next Thursday, I decided to have the training on the 19-Oct-2007(friday), 9-11am. So, anyone would like to join?

3 comments:

Ernest said...

Hi Edmond

Don't be frustrate, more boys came on Tue. just coz it fit their schedule better, you know boys are so busy nowadays.
That's good to hv a dress rehearsal in the morning before the real match kick off. How about start at 8.30 for a better preparation?

Cheers
Ernest

Raymond Ho said...

Dear Edmond and Ernest,

Yes, they should have a dress rehearsal starting at 8:30 am. this will keep them razor sharp.

I think it should be compulsory for those being picked for the first team start on Saturday.

For the boys who turned up on Thursday, I think some of them will be making a start in the First Team this season. Remember it is a very long season, and you are training a few of them pushing for a First Team start.

Yes, manners and discipline are very important. The lower forms boys need some guidance here. I would not name them in person, but they know who they are.

All of them have improved tremendously under your coaching. We will also organize some friendly matches for them in the near future so that they will get used to representing the school.

Just another thought, we have a good bunch of junior players, should we discuss with the school later on in the year and re-introduce Rovers? I think we have enough players for Singles and doubles. But we must ensure that their manners and disciplines are up to standard before they can be let loose in the big clubs such as CRC, Country club and LRC.

Cheers

Raymond

Joseph Kee-Yin Ng said...

Edmond,

I think you did a great job for the team and you have built a unique programme to distinguish your training from Ernest's. And the two different training style compliment each others such that the team members can get the best out of it.

The coming Friday dress rehearsal is a good thing. And Ernest, after watching some exciting singles at SCAA on Saturday, I think it will be nice to bring the boys over to watch some exciting games after the training session. The boys should at least know the standard of Hong Kong tennis professionals and got to know where is SCAA in Kowloon.

I think Barry will agree with me that after watching those games, we are itching to play and both of us think that we can play better!

My ankle is recovering (85%) and I will skip my footbal match on Tuesday night to avoid any further injury.

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

I will send our (Raymond and I) scouting videos and comments to the coaches - Jeffrey will be my messenger.

Cheers,

Joseph Ng